In order to maintain a safe environment, all potential hazardous items must be removed from your belongings at admission. Belongings brought to the hospital will be searched in your presence. Items we will secure include but are not limited to, the following:
- All medications including any over-the-counter drugs.
- Any item made completely or partially from glass.
- Any item with a blade or sharp point:
- Glass Bottles
- Craft Tools
- Knitting Needles
- Metal Combs
- Nail Clippers
- Nail Files
- Safety Pins
- Stick Pins
- Wire Hangers
- Pocket Knife
- Any weapon or heavy item that may be used as a weapon.
- Appliances with electric cords.
- Any item that can be used for self-harm:
- Dental Floss
- Guitar Strings
* Shoe laces may be removed from your shoes if you are having active thoughts of harming yourself.
** Belts may be worn, unless you have active thoughts of harming yourself.
- Any item containing alcohol, combustible fluids and all aerosol cans:
- Shaving lotion
- Hairspray/hair gel
- All matches and lighters
- All heat producing items such as curling irons or hair dryers.
- All types of blade razors; you may only use safety razors or electric razors.
If you are having active thoughts of harming yourself, staff will assist you by supervising use of electric and shaving items.
If you have further questions about our unit or our program, please contact our admissions department. They will answer your questions or direct you to staff on the unit who can provide additional information.