A panzanella is a summery northern Italian bread and tomato salad. Though it typically calls for day-old bread to soak up the tomato juices and still hold its shape, grilling or toasting the bread will yield similar (and more flavorful) results. While this recipe is a great starting point, let your imagination run wild and experiment with different vegetable combinations.
Yield: Approximately 8, 1-cup servings
Prepare charcoal grill with hot coals, or preheat gas grill to high.
In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, mustard, vinegar, lemon zest, ¼ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon pepper and ¼ cup olive oil. Set aside.
Place the tomato and basil in a large bowl, sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper and toss together. Set aside.
When the grill is ready, brush one side of the onion, zucchini and pepper slices with olive oil. Place them, olive oil side down, on the grill and cook for 4 minutes. Brush the other side with olive oil, turn them over and continue cooking an additional 4 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the grill and place on a cutting board. Roughly chop the grilled vegetables into ½-inch chunks. Add them to the tomato mixture.
Brush the bread slices on both sides with olive oil and toast them on the grill until golden (The pieces should not be as crispy as croutons.) Roughly chop the bread into ½-inch chunks. Add them to the tomato mixture. Pour the reserved vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss together.
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 20 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 3 large pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 3 large pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut lengthwise into ½-inch thick slices
- ½ of a baguette, sliced into ½-inch thick slices
Nutritional Data Per Serving
- Calories: 184
- Fat: 14 grams
- Carbohydrates: 13 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
- Sodium: 234 milligrams