Emory Healthcare Veterans Program offers two treatment pathways: Our Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) and Traditional Outpatient Program (OP). Both pathways are offered in person as well as via telehealth.
If you are local or from other parts of the country, you may participate in our two-week IOP. Because our traditional Outpatient Program’s length of treatment varies and requires multiple visits to our clinic in Atlanta, this treatment option is best suited for warriors who live in the Metro Atlanta area and aren’t able to take off two weeks for the IOP.
Before your first appointment, you’ll complete several surveys, either online or in person. You will then speak with a social worker and/or psychologist about your symptoms and treatment goals.
Intensive Outpatient Program
This two-week program for PTSD reduces symptoms, promotes health and wellbeing, and improves relationships and social functioning.Depending on your customized treatment plan, you could be offered the following services:
- Psychotherapy – This might include talk therapy, focusing on thoughts and behaviors and how they can influence mood. Talk therapy can help you become more comfortable with your memories and learn to think differently about them. Talk therapy can help you feel more safe and at ease in situations that can trigger troubling memories. You may also benefit from virtual reality exposure therapy (VRE). During VRE, you wear a head-mounted display and earphones that provide scenes and audio similar to what you might have experienced in combat or service. This safe and controlled exposure can help you become more comfortable in situations that trigger your symptoms.
- Medication – Many medicines are now widely used to help manage anxiety, depression, TBI and other mental health conditions. We’ll talk to you about your options and preferences and work with you if you’re interested in medication.
- Stress Management Skills – We’ll teach you specific strategies for managing memory or thinking difficulties as well as reducing anxiety while teaching you other skills that can improve your mental health and your life in general.
- Sleep Training – Many warriors have trouble sleeping or experience poor sleep quality. We can teach you techniques to help you unwind and get the sleep you need.
- Family Sessions - Treatment might include a participant’s family and would be provided via telehealth.
You’ll also learn about yoga, wellness, and communication and coping skills. In addition, you will have a chance to participate in group outings and weekend activities.
- In this program, warriors attend daily appointments from approximately 0800 – 1700 and participate in recreational activities in the evenings and on weekends.
- Warriors stay at a hotel near the Brain Health Center, where all care takes place.
- All costs associated with care, transportation, lodging, and meals are at no cost to the warrior.
Traditional Outpatient Program
This treatment pathway offers psychotherapy, medication, stress management skills, and sleep training. Depending on your particular needs, you could be scheduled weekly or less often. Treatment length is based on each warrior’s customized treatment plan.
Contact Us Today
To get more information and/or to speak with someone to determine your eligibility for evaluation, please call 888-514-5345 or complete the private online form below and we will contact you.