Our combined 24-month post-graduate year one/two health system pharmacy administration and leadership (HSPAL) residency program develops pharmacy leaders with expert knowledge and skills needed to assume clinical, operational and leadership management positions within a health system pharmacy.
The HSPAL residency program provides comprehensive practice management and leadership experiences with a diverse pharmacy leadership team with residency and practice experience from a variety of leading institutions. The program allows for tailored instruction based on your interest(s), past experiences and future goals.
During the first year of the program, you will learn broad-based competencies. In the second year, you will further develop and refine skills by participating in patient care activities, conducting research and quality improvement activities and completing unique pharmacy administration rotations in clinical and operational management, business and finance operations, medication safety, supply chain management, informatics, formulary and medication use system management.
Experiences are held at EUHM facilities, other Emory Healthcare sites and ambulatory locations throughout metro Atlanta, including infusion clinics and specialty and retail pharmacies. Rotation schedules are flexible and designed to provide you with a solid foundation of core experiences and ample opportunities for individual interests.
You will be assigned a residency advisor who will guide you through the program and ensure the goals laid out in your customized training plan are met. We use PharmAcademic to analyze residents’ performance. This includes global evaluations conducted with the advisor and program director throughout the year.
Goals are set according to the ASHP Outcomes, Goals and Objectives required for HSPAL programs. At the completion of the residency, all residents will be able to:
- Design, implement and manage a safe and effective medication-use system
- Apply contemporary quality methodology to the management of pharmacy services
- Lead and manage the health system pharmacy’s human resources
- Manage the health system pharmacy financial performance within the context of the broader health system
- Leverage technology and automated systems to optimize the medication-use system
- Demonstrate personal leadership qualities and business acumen essential to operate effectively within the health system and advance the profession of pharmacy practice
Elective outcomes may be added as part of your customized plan.