Cartilage Repair Care Plan
Before the Surgery:
- Our staff will call you with your surgery date and location.
- On the night before surgery-- take a shower, have a late meal, and fast after midnight.
- Arrive at least one hour before your surgery time.
- Check with our staff before you take your regular medications.
After your Surgery:
- Keep your foot elevated (above your heart) and your dressing clean.
- Do not apply any weight on your operated leg, not even when using crutches or a walker.
- You may be given a continuous passive motion (CPM) machine to use six to eight hours per day.
- Take you medications as instructed.
First Office Visit:
- Planned 14 days after your surgery.
- We will change your dressings and remove skin sutures if needed.
- Start daily joint motion but keep your weight off of the leg for six more weeks.
- Ask for a refill on pain medications if needed.
- Physical therapy begins.
Second Office Visit:
- Planned 10-12 weeks after your surgery.
- Your cartilage is still healing, so avoid high-impact activities.
- We will examine your joint and give you further instructions.
- You may feel some weakness in your operated leg. We will give you additional low-impact exercises to do for the next three months.
Final Office Visit:
- Planned six months after your surgery.
- We will examine you and advance your exercise program as needed.